Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 21st...



The 128 runs along the banks of the mighty Colorado. It's like getting to drive in a junior size replica of the Grand Canyon (which is still huge). I recommend this drive to everyone. This is another place I would love to come back to. I told river I'd be there today so he took the day off. Otherwise I would've stayed a little longer. So onward to Colorado. After the canyon the road winds through some flatter land with tons of small sand hills and big boulders. There were dirt bike tracks everywhere and it was easy to see why. This is a perfect place to ride. Next stop Grand Junction, CO for gas.

The drive continued with the views and serenity I've grown accustomed to. Although not quite as grand as Eastern Utah, Colorado is similar, and everything is getting greener. I stopped in Grand Junction for some gas and a hot cup of coffee. On HWY 50 again, heading south on my way to Montrose, CO. After Grand Junction I start to see snow covered peaks. The Rocky Mts. Unlike the city's name I just left, they are grand. Giant sharp peaks covered in snow, just like a postcard. The truck doesn't really like the big mountain terrain of Colorado but it's still charging.

I'm more accustomed to this landscape so it wasn't as intriguing to me, although still beautiful. I found myself trying to get through the steep, winding mountain roads to reach my destination. I arrive in Gunnison CO. around noon'ish, call Riv, and make the 40 min. drive up 135 to Crested Butte. Driving in to C.B. gives an instant feeling of entering a ski town. Classic small town in a valley surrounded by huge mountains. Similar to a Squaw Valley, with bigger mountains. The look and feel of of the place reminds me of Tahoe.

As I pull up to the house, Riv meets me outside with his classic "What's up Buck" and "You ready to go golfin'?" He's a member at a local course somehow. I don't know how he does it, but it's how he's always been. And as he's my best golfing buddy, I must oblige him. Off to Dos Rios Country Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment