Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 1... Kind of



Vision quest for me is taking the time for myself to try and figure out who I am and what will make me happy.

May 11th:

Leaving Nevada City, CA in close to blizzard conditions, I start my quest. First stop Tiffs house, Reno, NV. Starting my vision quest with a 'road closed', snow drive, across HWY 80 to see my ex-girlfriend sounds suspect, I know. For some reason I felt I needed to see her and get the comfort/approval to make this a successful journey. I don't know why. Maybe it's like holding your childhood blanket, or maybe I knew she would be brutally honest with me. Either way I felt it was something I needed to do.

After our cordial greetings and half ass'd catch up of our personal lives, I told her what I was doing. She was excited for me and proceeded to offer some of her future garage sale items for my trip. All turned out to be very useful.

Then I met her roommates who seemed to be interested in my quest. We talked about vision quests and my goals. After a few hours of talking I asked them to write down, anonymously, what they thought my attributes were or what they thought I'd be good at. Even though they didn't know me well, everyone has a first impression and I'm on a quest, so all the info I can get I'll take. I put these folded pieces of paper in an envelope (which I will ask many more people to do) to be opened at the end of my journey.

Next I'm onto HWY 50 East, no time limit, no idea where I'll stay, but I'm excited to start. Just me and the road for miles. I'm making my way to a good friends house in southern Utah. Hopeful for some positive feelings and/or good advise.

1 comment: